Sunday, November 23, 2014

Tulip Poplar Shadows in the Night-Response from Fellow EKY Appalachian, Pau Shepherd

I remember a huge Tulip Poplar that stood half way up the road to my house in "Fisher Holler". I know it was a Tulip Popular because, as Girl Scouts, we learned the leaves of all native trees. The company, Princess Elkhorn, installed a street light just up the road from that big tree and at night it cast shadows that were alive and terrifying. The only rule we had was to be home by dark. There were times, though, when I found myself running up that road scared to death in the pitch black of night in the narrow hollow. The shadows played in the middle of the road, but I had to run through them. I couldn't walk on the sidewalk which was too near the hedgerows and hills where monsters or Indians or ax murderers were hiding. I'll never forget this mad dash of terror.

I would arrive home breathless, facing 9 steps up to our front porch. Nine more hurdles and I'd be safe. The steps were open at the back and there was sure to be someone underneath waiting to grasp my ankles. I could feel their grasp as if it were really happening. I moved fast.

Finally, safe at the door, I was relieved to see sisters and brothers sitting around the dining room table doing their lessons or listening to the radio. Mother might be telling an interesting story or just entertaining them in some fun way. Mother might be reciting poetry or telling details about some famous movie. Peggy or Toby might be making homemade peanut butter fudge.Daddy was always asleep after dark so we were warned not to wake him. We could have fun as long as he didn't wake up--since he got up about 5AM to arrive at the mines by 6.

After 1952, I would have found them in front of our 17" Black and white TV, dishes done, floor swept, lessons done, and coal brought in.

Found sparingly in New England, the Tulip Poplar is abundant on the southern shore of Lake Erie and westward to Illinois. It extends south to north Florida, and is rare west of the Mississippi River. Its finest development is in the Southern Appalachian mountains, where trees may exceed 170 feet in height.


I just learned that the Tulip Poplar, another variety, is found only in one other place in the world. A specific mountain range in China. I'd like to learn more about this and the lives of the people in those hills.

Peace,
Judy

Comment from Reader, Paul Shepherd, fellow Appalachian Kentuckian:
Good morning Judy. Been reading your blog and just want to say how much I enjoy it. The things you write are so familiar. Growing up as a child I can say I experience them in my home. the games you played. The fear of someone lurking in the darkness like a tiger or lion waiting for you to enter that spot where it knows it can easily grab you and whisk you away and no one would ever know where you are.I remember being out late at night my friend letting me out at the main high way, Soon as he pulled away there I was all alone sometimes it was a beautiful clear night with the moon reflecting off the mountains or it could be one of the darkest night low over cast as I walked down the lane 500 feet or more each step I took the fear was increasing by the moment.At the end of the 500 feet I had to make a sharp left turn another 100 feet. By this time a cold sweat was seeping under my clothing."Lord will I ever make it to my safe bedroom, Then just like you at the end of the 100 feet. Thing got worse but I have two choices to enter into safety. To my right I can climb up this bank to the back door, but what if something knows that is the way I'm headed and just as I reach for the door handle it will reach around the corner from the darkness pull me in where I will never again see the light of day.
Then there is the way straight ahead at the end of 100 feet long steps going up to the front door made of nothing but two runners and 15 or more steps. There are shadows being cast under neath dark as black and ever step is opened under neath.As I step on that first step I feel the rush flowing through my body, the tingling, the coal sweat dripping as my hair starts to move up my neck going onto my head. I've got to do something fast. I let out a sound and start running up the steps missing ever other one. Get to the door thinking what ever it is it must be right on my heels, oh God let the door be unlocked or I am doomed. These things were very real and I some times wonder Lord how did I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment