Sunday, November 23, 2014

Another Face book Conversation with Friends



The Patsy Teenagers circa 1957
Children of coal miners had the opportunity to sing and entertain at coal conventions under the guidance of Mrs. Katherine Frazier. She taught us music from different eras and added rock and roll as it became famous. We traveled to places we would never have seen...White Sulfur springs, The Farmer Click show in Huntington, WV, Don McNeil's Breakfast Club in Chicago, French Lick Resort, and more.
Patsy Teenagers

Ellie Simpkins Stevens Friends not familiar with coal mining camp life, thought we had it so tough!! ha ha I think I was blessed to have grown up in the coal camp

Judy Bussey You should write about your experience...

Gwen Alexander
Hey, Judy, wonder if Ralph and Johnny got their coats in the Company Store....lol

Elaine Andrusia Ellie, I agree with you, those were the best years of my entire life (so far). I remember the first year I was there and I was 5. I thought it was Heaven!!

Judy Bussey Bet they did get them at the Company Store! I had never noticed that......probably all Alma and mother could do....good boys!

Helen Graves love the crinolines...

Judy Bussey Hi Helen! Yes we starched them as stiff as we could...I'm sure you did the same...at one time in high school (shades of Scarlett O'Hara) hoops became the fad...OMG, yes they did.....thanks for the memory Helen! ♥

Nancy E Spiggle They were scratchy.

Glen DeBoard Cora, I was admiring the picture you have of the Patsy Teenagers. It sure brings back memories of when I was a kid at David. I use to listen to them practice at the David School when my sister Charlotte and my brother Ken were there. It's been so many years. I moved to Indiana when I was 18. I am not sure if I know you. Francis Hughes was in my graduating class in 61. Thanks for the memories and please respond to this comment. I love your pictures.---glen

Glen DeBoard I know just about all in the picture.

Cora Hughes
Hey Glenn , nice to hear from you ! I remember Charlotte and ken .... I graduated in 59! Stay in touch!

Glen DeBoard Sorry Judy, I guess this is your picture. Thanks for all the posted photos. They are great-glen

Judy Bussey Glenn, I round up pictures from everywhere and put them here if they relate to David! I'll steal yours too....♥

Judy Bussey ‎
4 sets of brothers and sisters in this photo....how nice was that!!!

Terry Lea Buchanan Judy I noticed you had not tagged the names of the 2 girls after me. Next to me is JoAnne Bates, She graduated in '59, she stayed the last 2 months of school w/Judy Roberts. Her father came to graduation, made the Roberts go home, so she could pack. They left that evening, no forwarding address. We never heard from her again. Strange/ Judy has tried to locate her over the years. No luck last time she & John were here for a visit.

Carla Burchett Where is Judy Roberts now, I haven't talked with her since the mid-sixties.Maybe ya'll remember. I saw this guy one time in my life, he was standing at the Strand Theater talking to friends and he was the most handsome guy I'dl ever seen. I was waaay too young for him, a friend told me he was Brownie Calhoun, I never saw him again...but what an impression he made on me. Does anyone know anything about him?

Judy Bussey I knew a Victor Calhoun....he was a handsome guy, brother to Jean Carol...hope somebody remembers him Carla--glad you're browsing my David album ♥

Cora Hughes Victor Calhoun was in our class and he was killed , I believe several years ago!

Steve Dotson Vic Calhoun died on a Northwest Orient flight that disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska [pacific ocean] he was in the air force,i believe,and was going to Anchorage. He had two sisters, however,Jean Carol is from a different Calhoun family. The accident happened in the 63-64 time frame as I recall.

Steve Dotson Brownie Calhoun lives in Indianapolis.......some of his siblings are Jay, Kenneth, Bonnie [Jolly John-WDOC,boyfriend], Jean Carol.
Brownie is the brother-in-law of one of my sisters.

Judy Bussey Thanks for this information Steve. I had heard about Victor years ago, but never knew the details. I hope Carla comes back to find her question answered. I remember Jolly John very well. Scooby Do Da Da! I loved the old disc jockey days. We would request songs from WPRT, then from WDOC. So good to hear from you Steve. I loved meeting your beautiful Sandy, such a great personality..and you two win the dance contest! Awesome. tell her I said hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment